Monday, 25 October 2010

Jo Dewar II





Above and top: Jo's garments from her days at Adam Smith College

Above: A few of Jo's pieces from University for Creative Arts Kent



We had a few interesting comments at work today about yesterdays post on Jo. Here is the sequel.


5. After you completed your HND in Fashion Business at Adam Smith College, what was your next step?


After HND I continued Higher Education at UCA (University for Creative Arts in Kent) doing the Fashion Product Innovation Degree. This included fashion design, pattern cutting, making, Gerber CAD, garment tech training, branding and much more. I was drawn to this course for the same reasons that I was originially attracted to Fashion Business at Adam Smith College. The course covered a wide range of subjects opening up a greater choice of career possibilities in the future. After studying the Gerber system and completing projects in this field I decided that this was the path for me.



6. What type of planning and gaining experience did you do before securing your current post?


After I graduated in 2008, I applied for several posts in different technical departments which later were withdrawn or put on hold due to the recession. I had moved to Kent and needed to work full time in retail positions to pay the bills. Unfortunately, this made it very difficult to volunteer for unpaid work experience and this was a weakness. Eventually, I was recommended for this post with Aurora Fashions by my previous Uni Lecturer. I was very lucky to be selected and kick start my career and with such a recognised company within the industry.



7. Since leaving Adam Smith College what have you achieved that you are most proud of?


The fact that I didn't give up trying to get into the right place. It has been frustrating and occasionally disheartening when you don't seem to get to where you want to be but being persistent with searching for positions has finally paid off!


8. Do you have any advice for our current students?


Research!! Try not to leave everything to the last minute and if you have the spare time try to get as many work experiences as possible. Above all, keep trying and do not give up on getting to where you wish to be.


Many thanks to Jo and good luck for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment