Saturday, 19 March 2011

Gerda Kritt - Graduate Student II


More from VM Gerda . . .


4. What skills do you need to do your job successfully?


To be a successful VM it is important to have a good eye for styling, on the bigger picture as well as tiny details. It is also vital to have a good sense of teamwork and be comforatble with delegating as it is impossible to cover a 1500m square store on your own! Communication is also really important as you need to be able to chat to customers, discuss work with your team and liaise with those outwith your own store. As I am working in the Baltics, it is a big advantage to have language skills. I travel to other countries for store openings etc. Mainly I am speaking Estonian and English at work as M & S are British but I do have other languages which have been very useful. Managing your time is really important and planning for and meeting deadlines is essential as fashion and visual merchandising are constantly changing.


5. What have been the highlights of your job so far?


The highlight of my job to date was the first store opening I was involved in. There was simply so much to do and we were working very long shifts just to get through it all. It was amazing to see it all come together and this kept me motivated as it was taking shape. After the store was ready to open, the feedback from the Head of Retail was, "Incredible VM standards." I couldn't believe it and was really thrilled. I felt very proud, relieved and pleased all at once. There is something positive about my job every day. It is incredibly hard work but very satisfying and sometimes I have a 'to do' list that makes me want to cry but when it is all done I get a real buzz and feel happy.


6. What do you love about your career in fashion?


The main thing for me is that it is never boring and I get to be really creative. Because fashions change so quickly there is always something new to see and do and fresh ideas come faster than you can make them happen, it is just great.
Thank you Gerda. I am really looking forward to catching up with you at Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment