Tuesday, 8 March 2011

Graduate Student - Amy Falconer, Stylist


I am really pleased to have kept in contact with Amy Falconer since she graduated from our fashion course at Adam Smith College a few years ago. She has worked really hard, done very well and is now helping some of our current students with their own Work Experience units. Thanks Amy.


1. Please could you describe your job?


My role within Jenners is vast. I have worked hard within several areas over a period of time and although I began as a Personal Shopper, my current position is titled : Stylist, Events and Promotions.


2.How did you secure your position after HNC/D Fashion Business at Adam Smith College?


I worked as a stylist assistant and volunteered at fashion shows for around 2 years gaining experience, skills and a portfolio. To fund this unpaid training, I worked in a variety of office jobs to pay the bills. I was lucky enough to have my work spotted by Jenners and they invited me to be their Personal Stylist. Without the unpaid training/experience, I would not be in my current role. The fashion side of the job involves having initial consultations with customers to identify their body shape, taste and lifestyle. We discuss skin tone, eye and hair colour, brand preferences and budget.


I select garments they may like and we take it from there. Many people have no idea of what suits them or just hate shopping, an alien concept to me! The greatest job satisfaction for me is helping people on a one to one basis. They are overjoyed at having someone help them, find what suits them and show how to build outfits. The service is free and many arrive thinking they can't be helped but are soon delighted to find that there is something for everyone its just finding something to suit, fit and flatter. My work is not trend focused but driven by shape, cut, silhouette and colour. I also style and manage fashion shows, photo shoots, press opportunities and events.


3. How do you do all that in practice?


The other aspects of my role vary vastly from helping on the shop floor to meeting with external companies for PR opportunities as well as organising and running events. I also manage promotions either locally or nationally dealing with Head Office. To do all this, its a must to keep up with fashion trends and forecasts, different brands, their target markets and know what the competition is doing. I do a lot of comparative shopping which involves looking at what others are offering out there. From that, I provide my store manager with a SWOT analysis that we use to develop the way we work.


I also attend a lot of networking events to create new contacts and opportunities for Jenners - lunches, dinners, shows, events. This is key to my role and involves being presentable, professional and on the ball at all times! Its great fun though.
More to come from Amy soon . . . .

1 comment: